Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Where to Put The Tattoo?

When I first started writing seriously a number of years ago (here's that story if you're interested: http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2010/04/paige-shelton-on-getting-published.html#links), my big goal was, of course, to get published. It can be an all-consuming and heartbreaking goal, but the work was well worth it.

Shortly after my agent sold my first books to Berkley, I had a fleeting thought that over time somehow turned into a big thought that wouldn't go away. In a happy moment, probably in an off-handed way, I said aloud though not to a live person, "If I ever make the New York Times Best Seller list, I'm getting a tattoo with whatever number I land."

Okay, you have to understand: In my head, this was a dream for some time down the road, and when I envisioned the list, my dream shot for a low number, perhaps 1 or maybe 2. Also, I don't have any tattoos. I don't have piercings other than one hole in each ear. I've admired some body art, but never ever been courageous enough to lend my own to the cause. Translation: I'm a pretty boring middle-aged woman.

I can't even begin to share with you the thrill of landing on the New York Times list. When my editor called to tell me the good news, I laughed, I cried -- but I won't go on because that would make us all uncomfortable. Sure, it was the extended list, and hey, it was number 35 out of 35, but it falls right in there with the best moments of my life. Even a lower number, even number 1, couldn't have been more awesome.

That said, I believe in keeping my deals, keeping my promises, even if they are to that invisible universe. I'm proudly getting a "35" tattoo (my husband joked and said that Bo Derek better watch her back now -- yeah, took me a minute to get it too, but he's a good guy), but I can't decide where to put it. It won't be very big, and anything above my shoulders isn't an option, but I'd love to hear suggestions -- locations, fonts, colors . . . I don't know where to begin.

Oh yeah, if you know my parents, you might not want to tell them.

Happy reading!

Paige

3 comments:

  1. Firstoff, Congrats on the huge accomplishment! Wow. NYT bestseller. I finished your book today and it's one of the best I've read this year. :)

    I think the lower back is a good place but it's become known as "the tramp stamp" so probably not a good idea. How about middle of your back? or your foot? The cool thing about your foot is you can look at it anytime but still cover it up anytime. I have to think on the font...but maybe something swirly that can double as a piece of art would be nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sister-in-law oh sister-in-law !!! I have two tattoos. One on my shoulder blade and one above my ankle. Both nice spots..However, the number 35 , as important as it is, shuld be someplace where YOU can see it. I like the above comment on the foot, or the ankle was be good too. And definatly something swirly and lovely.

    I am so proud of you and proud to be your sister-in-law! You truley are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kourtney and Astrid!

    I'm thinking the foot.

    Kourtney -- Swirly sounds right.

    And Astrid -- I had no idea! You'll have to show me next time you visit.

    Thanks, friends.

    Paige

    ReplyDelete