Stepping away from the cookbook contest today --
We planted cucumbers this year and it looks like we're going to end up with some. Yay! For some reason we've had difficulty with these veggies in years past. We love them, so we're excited to see that we might have done something right this year.
At a recent wedding shower I enjoyed some open-faced cucumber sandwiches. They were delicious. I didn't get the recipe but I found one on the Internet that is pretty close and just as good.
Here it is:
1 tub whipped cream cheese
1-2 packets of dry Italian dressing mix
1 pkg cocktail bread -- I've also used thinly sliced sourdough bread. Cocktail bread is just small dense bread.
- Wash cucumbers and scrape "stripes" down the length. Slice very thinly -- 1/4 inch or smaller.
- In small bowl, stir together cream cheese and dressing mix.
- Thinly spread (important that you keep it thin) mixture over a piece of the bread. You don't have to cut off the crust, but I do -- after I spread the mixture.
- Lay one slice (or more to cover the "face" of the bread)of cucumber on cream cheese mixture.
- Shake a small bit of dill weed over the cucumber.
Enjoy this open-faced sandwich appetizer. They're easy, pretty and tasty.