Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Scallops

On page 205 of the cookbook, there's a beautiful picture of scallops with sauteed oranges -- really gorgeous. Despite not being a huge scallop fan, the picture was pretty enough to make me what to try the recipe.

Issue 1 - the recipe called for one navel orange and one blood orange. I couldn't find any blood oranges, either at the farmers' market or at my grocery store, so I used two navel.



Issue 2 - When sauteing them, I wasn't as gentle with the orange slices as I probably should have been. My picture isn't nearly as attractive as the one in the cookbook. I know that happens frequently, but there was a huge difference. There's nothing about this picture that would make someone want to try this:


Trust me, the picture in the book is much better. And, I'm sure I could have done a better job with the oranges.

As for the taste -- it wasn't bad. Scallops are (to me) very rich and I can only eat so much. My husband doesn't have an issue with rich foods and he loved everything about the recipe. It calls for adding cumin which I thought would be horrible, but it wasn't.

I'm not sure I'll attempt this one again, but that's not because it isn't good, it's just not my favorite.

A pasta dish is next on the list. It sounds amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment